Monday 13 October 2008

To Heaven and back...

Wasn't this weekend just glorious.... golden .. mellow and SO warm.. as I discovered when I set out yesterday in black polo neck and jeans, boots and a woollen coat...
I realised my fashion faux pas as the mercury started to rise when the morning mist had burnt off...
I felt particularly.. overdressed but at the same time underdressed.. as I was visiting a very fashionable event and whilst waiting outside for Jayne to join me.. I was a little dismayed to see lots of 'bright young things' walking into the building wearing wonderfully colourful and eclectic outfits.. indian print tunics, with a swathe of pashmina and vivid tights and boots..
I felt most sombre in my monochrome attire..
Hey ho...
Jayne arrived and we entered the realms of another world...in fact I felt as though I had arrived at the pearly gates themselves as my excitement and anticipation for this event has been mounting for days..
It was the Blind Lemon Vintage Fashion Fair in Clifton Bristol...
My first visit and one to be repeated as soon as possible!
I had a mission to fulfill and made fast tracks towards my goal.... The fabulous vintage stall belonging to a lovely lady called Leonore..
I had been briefed about the content of Leonore's stall and it sounded just like my cup of tea..
make that several cups and cakes too!
I knew that I would be unable to restrain the purse strings and started to fill a box with the most incredible collection of original 50's items.. plastic celluloid dolls, coloured hairslides on their original cards, sweet little books of transfers, metal scotty dog studs, plastic rabbit pram toys..

Leonore has the most wonderful collection of original items but what makes them so special.. is the packaging which is intact and in mint condition..
Such treasures!
oh.. I really was in my heaven rummaging amongst all this rare and exquisite merchandise.
I came away.. in fact I would have been dragged away by Jayne had I not run out of money..with my bag of exciting swag.. to then be greeted most warmly by dear Lizzie..who was also selling her fab vintage clothes and textiles at the event..
Sorry Lizzie that I didn't snap away at your lovely stall too.. I was a little overwhelmed with it all by the time we left and had to go and sit down and restore my sanity with a lovely cup of reviving coffee.. better than smelling salts!

19 comments:

Sal said...

Oooooh I am drooling,Michele!
I could kick myself as I recently missed the Blind Lemon Vintage event at Exeter St Georges Hall!
I don't know how I managed to do that, seeing as I am always there and usually know what's going on and when!

And what a fabulous warm, sunny weekend it was too!
Glad you enjoyed it all ;-)

Anonymous said...

Good grief I think I would have thought I had died and gone to heaven had I been able to rummage on that stall!

BusyLizzie said...

great photos! Glad you didn't take any of my stall this time. The students are very enthusiastic, enjoying a good rummage.... so that despite my constant tidying the tables looked like the village jumble sale!

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle
Your w/e sounds a dream. I've never heard of the 'Blind Lemon' event before... but will look out for the next one.
The Shepton 'Flea' was on this w/e too & the sun really did bring out the people in droves.... including me who could easily have taken up residence under some of the tables with their gorgeous tempting goodies on display.
Hope your week is equally exciting.
Bye for now.

Ragged Roses said...

Someone was in vintage heaven methinks!
Mxxx

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! I've never heard of this fair before...where have I been??? I must look to see if they go anywhere near London...or another excuse for a weekend away will be called for!

The stool looks amazing, I'm glad you had such a wonderful time and I bet your earnt that cup of coffee.

Thank you for enlightening me on something else!!

Lucy x

Anonymous said...

Tis the season of the fashion faux pas. The outdoor temps and my own fluctuations are never in sync and those "bright young things" just irritate me. Oh dear, am I having a cranky fit of jealousy over your weekend adventures or a hot flash or both.
Thanks for sharing.
Wx

Anonymous said...

That looks an amazing day out...I'm geting all excited looking at that vintage gorgeousness..bet you had a field day ! Great weekend weather wasn't it..(I boiled in Exeter too, with tights and cord skirt, so you weren't the only one :)

Niki Fretwell said...

So wish I could have been in two places at once.....and for Leonore's stall to have been in those two places too!
Glad that you had such a good time Michele....even in your black polo neck! ;-))

Niki x

The Crackled Horse Company said...

So lovely to meet like minded creative people like you Michele! I have JUST spent the day creating my Blog... not such a pretty word to lend itself to all these lovely "spots" of nostalgia and vintage gorgeousness... but then thats technology for you!
I am in Tunbridge Wells and there is a huge desire products such as these, just not many clever people that can do it!
I will be "bigging up your blogg" now though!
Take Care, Helen.

Things Hand Made said...

They look so good. Vintage fair in Cheltenham soon. Its on my calender every year!

Petticoat Lane said...

What a wonderful day out that you, Jayne and your black polo neck had. No wonder you managed to spend all your pennies.
I too got caught out going to the beach in Devon this weekend with winter clothes on thinking it would be quite chilly next to the sea, but ended up baking and looking rather foolish with shorts and t-shirts all around me!
Jane. x

A time to dance said...

I am drooling and dribbling Michelle infact I may have made a puddle!! How wonderful - we never have exciting fairs up North - must be all the wippet races and pie eating. great blog - know what you mean about putting the wrong outfit on - I always end up in a pool cause I put the wrong thisng on. love and hugs H
ps pop over and look at how naughty I was this weekend!!!!

jane and the happy crow said...

That stall looks like my idea of heaven! Wish I had known about this event the three hour journey would have been worth it! You lucky, lucky thing I am seething with envy********

LiLi M. said...

Ooh heaven exists, but it is too far away from me :-( And you were already dressed too warm, it is a miracle you didn't faint at that booth!

Of course I bought H&A last week. The article featuring you and Jane is so nice. Good free publicity for the fair too. I have enjoyed it very much. You both look great on the pictures. Have a great week. The wheather is still very nice over here, I do hope in Bath too.

jane and the happy crow said...

Just thought, does she have a blog, website, etsy shop?

Pretty Practicals said...

Hi Michele, good grief what at fantastic collection of vintage goodies! It sounds like you and Jayne had a fab day out.
Chat soon, Liz

Teena Vallerine said...

Oh Leonore has a stall from heaven! WHAT treasures! t.x

The fabric of my life said...

I thought you would like Leonore's stall she has some delicious goodies doesn't she. I always come away with something from her stall.